Close this search box.

Social Housing

MASP provides a number of short and long-term social housing properties for those on the Victorian Housing Register.

I’m looking for a home

MASP operates several short-term housing properties (9-month leases); soon we will also be operating several long-term social housing properties for people on the Victorian Housing Register.

Unfortunately, there are very few social and affordable housing options available in Victoria right now, and rental vacancies are at an all-time low. We’re here to help you in any way we can, however, it’s unlikely that we will be able to provide you with a home straight away.

We will work with you to help you find the best solution to get you on the right path to finding stable accommodation as soon as possible.

If you are homeless or under housing stress, please see our page
If you need URGENT homelessness support on a weekend, after hours, or on a public holiday please call
Further information about applying for long-term social housing is available here:

I am a tenant of a MASP Property that needs repairs or maintenance

We carry out repairs and maintenances on our properties to keep them in good condition. It’s important to us and our tenants that our houses remain safe and secure.

Most repairs are our responsibility as the rental provider. However, if you, a pet, or one of your visitors caused the damage, you are responsible for arranging and paying for the repairs.

We undertake different types of maintenance to ensure compliance with renting regulations. There are three different types of maintenance – urgent, non-urgent and proactive.

If you report an issue outside of business hours that is not urgent, you may be charged a maintenance fee.

Your maintenance responsibilities

As a renter, you must look after your home and do small routine repairs like:

  • Replacing light globes.
  • Looking after the garden in your private space (backyard); this includes weeding.
  • General cleaning.
  • Replacing consumables such as batteries in garage remotes, air conditioner controllers etc.

We will maintain common garden areas; your rent may include a fee for the maintenance of common garden areas.

We cannot arrange repairs for your personal items, such as the TV, fridge or washing machine.

How to request repairs or maintenance

We rely on renters to lodge a ‘Repairs and Maintenance Request Form’ to be able to undertake these works. You should report any repairs, however big or small, as soon as you are aware of them. This is because the issue may cause further damage if it isn’t reported.

To make a request for repairs or maintenance you can:

Outside of business hours, we will only arrange repairs that are classified as urgent. Any other requests will be dealt with on the next business day. If you report an issue outside of business hours that is not urgent, you may be charged a maintenance fee.

Urgent Repairs

To be repaired as soon as possible, urgent repairs are defined by law and include:

  • Blocked or broken toilet system
  • Serious roof leak
  • Gas leak
  • Dangerous electrical fault
  • An essential service or appliance for hot water, water, cooking, heating or laundering is not working
  • Gas or electricity supply is not working
  • A cooling appliance or service provided by us is not working
  • Serious storm or fire damage

A full list of urgent repairs and further information is available at

Non-urgent Repairs

To be repaired within 14 days of receiving a written request.

Anything not defined as urgent is classified non-urgent.

Proactive Repairs

We also undertake proactive repair work such as replacing carpets, appliances and painting. We try to do these works when a property is vacant, however, they may need to be completed while you are our renter. In these circumstances, we will communicate with you and ensure the work are undertaken at a suitable time for all involved.

Ending my tenancy

There are several reasons you may be ending your tenancy with MASP, you may have received an offer of social housing, moving out of the area, or your rental agreement may have come to an end.

If you wish to end your rental agreement, you can provide us with a notice in writing. Consumer Affairs has developed a ‘Notice of intention to vacated rented premises by renter’ form, you may use this, however it is not compulsory, you can also call, email or see us in person.

Once we receive your notice to vacate, a staff member will contact you to discuss the vacating procedure.

If you leave your property without giving us notice, we may consider your property to be abandoned. In this case, we will seek to end your tenancy. We will lodge a claim with VCAT for any costs incurred, such as damage, cleaning, outstanding rent or disposal of leftover goods.

End of tenancy checklist

End of tenancy inspection

When you signed your lease, you were given a property condition report. This report detailed the condition of the property when you moved in. We will use this report to determine whether there is any excess damage to the property and whether your bond will be returned to you or claimed through VCAT.

We will complete a pre-vacating inspection of your property approximately 7 days before you vacate. This inspection gives us the opportunity to check the condition of the property and make sure you are ready to hand back the property in the same condition you leased it from us. Fair wear and tear are expected to occur during your tenancy; repairs or maintenance due to fair wear and tear will not be charged to you.

We will also carry out an inspection within 48 hours of your vacating the property. You will be given the opportunity to attend both inspections and you will be provided with an opportunity to repair outstanding issues at this time.

Returning keys

You are required to return the keys to your property when you vacate. You are required to continue paying rent for the property until you return the keys to us.

Tenant policies and resources

We’re committed to providing transparency and clarity regarding policies that apply to, and impact our tenants, clients, and the community.

As a renter, you have certain rights and it’s important to ensure you understand these rights. Here are the policies and resources that will help you during your tenancy.

I’m interested in becoming a partner

We are always looking for new opportunities to partner with developers, investors and other organisations who wish to increase the supply of quality social and affordable housing.

If you would like to discuss partnering with MASP, please visit here.